Sunday, April 1, 2007

You Wanna Cookie?



I recently came to a realization. Not many people will donate anything w/ out something in return. What happened to the Random Acts of Kindness, or general community service. I came to this while getting food at Wendy's. I ordered the usual (#6, no mayo) and when i was about to pay, the lady asked me, "Would you like to donate a dollar to the March of Dimes, and get a cookie?" and me being the generally nice person i am, said yes; then it hit me. Am i really donating if I'm getting a cookie in return, b/c it was a cookie that was big and chocolate chip, so therefore definitely worth a dollar. This concept never really hit me in grade school when one could get a prize for selling the most Christmas cards. Anywho, i leave whoever is reading my random rant with this: do something nice for someone and don't expect something in return. Just like my jr. highschool computer teacher would say, pull off an RAK (random act of kindness) today.

2 comments:

Josh Kleinfeld said...

Hey...i'm a friend of Sam's...saw you on his blog and then jumped over here to yours.

Miroslav Volf talks about this in his book "Free of Charge." He talks about how it is easier for us to "buy and sell" than it is to "give and receive". Capitalism riding the wave...

Sam said...

Ah "Exclusion and Embrace" Good book (great first chapter anyway).

Matt, I for one would like the cookie. hehe

It's a good point though. The idea that we always deserve something is pretty interesting as well.